Hello everybody, it’s John, welcome to our recipe site. Today, we’re going to make a distinctive dish, brad's chicken and sausage gumbo. It is one of my favorites food recipes. For mine, I will make it a bit unique. This will be really delicious.
Brad's chicken and sausage gumbo is one of the most popular of recent trending foods on earth. It is enjoyed by millions every day. It is simple, it is quick, it tastes yummy. Brad's chicken and sausage gumbo is something which I’ve loved my whole life. They’re fine and they look wonderful.
The secrets to a good gumbo aren't anything fancy either, but if you take the time to do them right, your gumbo will be just as good as the ones served in New Orleans. Make sure to brown the sausage and chicken until they both have crispy caramelization. Add the reserved chicken and sausage, then stir in the file powder.
To begin with this recipe, we must prepare a few components. You can have brad's chicken and sausage gumbo using 20 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you can achieve it.
The ingredients needed to make Brad's chicken and sausage gumbo:
- Get 3 lbs chicken thighs with bone and skin
- Make ready Seasoned flour to dredge chicken
- Prepare 1 lg yellow onion, chopped
- Make ready 1 red & 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- Take 6 celery stalks, chopped
- Make ready 8-10 roma tomatoes, chopped
- Take 10 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- Prepare 1 1/2 cups cream sherry
- Take 1 1/2 cups shortening
- Get 1 1/2 cups flour
- Prepare 10-12 cups water
- Take 1/3 cup granulated chicken bouillon
- Make ready 1 tbs dried oregano
- Make ready 1 tbs smoked paprika
- Get 1/2 tbs white pepper
- Take Cajun seasoning to taste. I like it spicy so I used a fair bit
- Make ready 1 pkg frozen okra
- Prepare 1 1/2-2 lbs andouille sausage, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Get 4-6 cups prepared white rice
- Prepare Gumbo filé
Then there's gumbo z'herbes, a Lenten version made with an acre's worth of sundry greens and not a scrap from the animal kingdom. Speaking of vegetables, some gumbos, Creole ones, have tomato; others, Cajun ones, do not. This gumbo starts with a dark roux as its base. Once the roux is ready and combined with water, add sautéed chopped green bell pepper, onion and celery to the pot.
Instructions to make Brad's chicken and sausage gumbo:
- Place seasoned flour into a lg ziplock bag. Add chicken and seal. Shake well to coat evenly. Heat canola oil in a lg frying pan just under medium heat. Fry chicken covered until golden brown on both sides. Set aside.
- In the same pan, reserve 2 tbs of the chicken grease. Add onions, peppers, and celery. Fry on medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Meanwhile in a lg Dutch oven, melt shortening on medium heat. Add flour and mix thoroughly. Stir almost constantly until the roux becomes almost a chocolate brown and smells very nutty. This takes a while, but is the base Flavor of the dish. If it starts to smell burnt. Start over.
- Add tomatoes and garlic to the onion mixture. Keep frying until about half of the liquid from the onions evaporates. Add sherry. Bring to a simmer until half of that liquid evaporates.
- When the roux is done it will be a nice caramel color. Slowly add the onion mixture to it. Continue to stir constantly. Add water and mix thoroughly. Add the fried chicken, bouillon and spices. Bring to a simmer and simmer for an hour uncovered. Stir every 5-10 minutes
- Adjust seasonings to taste. Add okra and sausage. Simmer for another 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, plate rice off to one side. Add gumbo to the bowl, and top with a chicken thigh. Sprinkle a little gumbo filé on top and serve immediately. Enjoy.
Sear the chicken and sausage, too, before throwing them in, and letting the gumbo cook low and slow for hours. This Easy Chicken Gumbo recipe is like a party for your mouth! Vibrant, spicy flavor simmered to perfection, this combination of chicken, sausage, okra, and veggies is cooked in a creamy creole spiced broth that is just pure comfort. Combine the oil and flour in a large cast iron or enameled cast iron Dutch oven over medium heat. Season the gumbo with the Tabasco, cayenne, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and parsley.
So that is going to wrap it up for this exceptional food brad's chicken and sausage gumbo recipe. Thank you very much for your time. I am confident that you will make this at home. There is gonna be more interesting food in home recipes coming up. Remember to save this page in your browser, and share it to your family, friends and colleague. Thank you for reading. Go on get cooking!